Ben Warren has over 15 years specialist experience in commercial litigation, credit and securities disputes, insolvency, and workplace law. He advises in regard to contract preparation, compliance and governance, insurance, asset protection and structuring, in addition to dispute and workplace work. He specializes in the construction and resources industries, but also advises clients regularly in transport, manufacturing and intellectual property fields.
He is one of approximately 30 lawyers (of more than 9,000 in Queensland) accredited by the Queensland Law Society as a specialist in commercial litigation. He has seen numerous occasions where court proceedings, often costing tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars should have been avoided. His extensive experience and strategic thinking can often resolve an existing dispute to the client’s advantage.
Ben is passionate about really getting to know a client and its business, planning risk mitigation strategies and early intervention. He strives to give clients the luxury of choosing when and how to engage with the legal system – strategically – rather than being “swept up” in it against the client’s will.
Experience & Expertise
Ben has acted for a wide variety of clients, including ASX200 listed companies, litigation “virgins”, as well as insurance and finance companies. However, his primary focus for several years has been the Construction and Resource industries, where he has developed a deep understanding of the issues, including;
- Industry specific payments legislation, safety concerns, licensing, insurance and contracting regulations, and contractor-employee issues. Ben’s experience finds him able to advise commercial and corporate based clients on all aspects of their business.
- Acting regularly for a range of private enterprises, including an insurer, a credit union, a fuel distributor and all levels of the construction industry in debt claims and more complex disputes, including contested guarantees, enforcement and insolvency.
- Contracts advisory, risk mitigation and regulatory compliance advice in a range of industries, including particularly construction, mining, transport, and financial services.
- Insolvency and securities disputes, including numerous preference claims, insolvent trading, “shadow director” claims and phoenix activity.
Memberships & Community
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland and the High Court of Australia
- Board Member and Past President, Rotary Club Brisbane Mid-City and Paul Harris Fellow
- Founding President – Business referral group